Table of Contents
We’ve all heard stories about dodgy tradespeople who seem to magically disappear once the job is done and the complaints begin. But did you know there is a way to protect yourself against the expense of repairing bad workmanship or materials? It can also protect you if your builder disappears or goes out-of-business.
While it’s a legal requirement, not every builder provides it. There are also many builders who don’t meet the eligibility criteria. That’s why it offers protection in 2 ways:
- It will look after you if the builder won’t
- It’s another level of security to ensure you are choosing a reputable company
What is this marvellous protection?
It’s called Warranty Insurance and it’s a legal requirement for projects over $12,000 in value.
What does it provide?
Warranty Insurance gives homeowners a 5 year warranty on:
- Faulty products supplied as part of the construction project
- Non-compliant building works
- The death of the building contractor
- Licence cancellation or non-renewal by the builder
- The builder going bankrupt or insolvent
- The builder disappearing or not responding to your calls or emails
How do you know if it’s included in your building contract?
When you obtain quotes, the more expensive ones will probably include Warranty Insurance because currently, it can add an additional 15% on the cost of a renovation under $25,000. But you should specifically ask your builder if he/she has included Warranty Insurance in the quote.
Your other protection is that you should receive a Certificate of Coverage. This is your guarantee that Warranty Insurance has been taken out on your project.
When you receive a Certificate of Coverage, make sure you keep it in a safe place – just in case you need it. If you need to make a claim, you must approach the builder first. If you can’t locate your builder, the Certificate will provide you with details on how to make a claim.
We’re here for the long term
At Mid Coast Pergolas & Decks, we’re here for the long term. You’ll get a sense of that from our first meeting because we’ll talk about ways to help you achieve a magnificent outdoor area that will continue to look good for years to come.
While we respect your budget, we’re not the people to contact if you want a cheap, short-term job. But if you are after an outdoor entertaining space that is built to last using sustainable materials wherever possible, then we are definitely the ones to call.
Plus, we absolutely guarantee 2 things:
- You will receive Warranty Insurance if your project exceeds $12,000
- If you have an issue with your project, we will promptly respond to your call